Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Forgotten Heroes

Today, as we celebrate our active duty and veterans, I want to be sure that we also pay respect to another "enlisted group"...the military wife. Not for my own purpose, but for those that came before me. This is a different world of war now than it was when my grandma was in my shoes. She stood beside her man, supported his duty to his country, stayed home with 3 boys while he went to fight wars. It was so much more tough for her generation. No phone calls when grandpa was deployed. No internet. Just letters, and a hope that she would see her husband again. Any news was old news by the time it got to her. No easy travel home to see family, no Facebook to keep up with family and friends. And yet she never had a day to celebrate her service to her country. She never received a free dinner at Applebee's for her sacrifice. She never received full military honors at her funeral. In reading this article below I cried...thinking of my Grandma and how strong she was.  Grandma, I love you and miss you more than words can say. You are MY hero. Happy Veteran's Day.

This article below is a great look into the world of a military wife....just a small portion. 

The Quiet Side of Being a Soldier's Other Half

No comments:

Post a Comment